One woman's foray into cooking for herself, for her family, and for her friends. It's not always picture-perfect, sometimes a little messy,
but it's always delicious. Join me in exploring new recipes, savoring the "résultats" and learning from the "erreurs".



Saturday, November 27, 2010

Weekend Blog Showcase: Orange-Scented Macaroons

First, my apologies for missing Weekend Blog Showcase last week.  I came down with a horrible cold that had me asleep most of last weekend and a nagging cough that drove the few co-workers who had to work the week of Thanksgiving a bit crazy.  Ah well.  I'm much better and ready to cook!  My thanks to Ann (Thibeault's Table) for hosting last week!


I love just about anything almond.  So when I came across these on  Foodgawker one day, I did a little happy dance inside my head.  I hightailed it right over to Hungry Rabbit for the recipe.  These delicate little cookies are simple to make and have a wonderful orange-y almond flavor.  It's a terrific combination.  Ken advises to leave these alone for a couple of days as the flavor improves.  I'll take his word for it and pass along the admonition.  I know they were amazing as soon as they were cool enough to sample (you know I had to try one).  I love these!  And I also love Ken's blog.  Hungry Rabbit has wonderful photos and great recipes (seems that all my favorite blogs do!)  I'll be visiting often.  Thank you, Ken!

Orange-Scented Macaroons

2 large egg whites
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon pure orange extract (optional)
1 pound almond paste, separate into 1 inch pieces
Pinch of table salt
1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted, plus more for rolling and coating (about 1 cup)
Zest of 2 oranges
1 tablespoon orange liqueur, such as Grand Marnier or Triple Sec

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with nonstick baking mats; set aside.
2. Whisk one egg white and extracts in a small bowl until combined, set aside.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, Add almond paste and salt, beat on medium speed until soft, about 2 minutes. Add egg white mixture and beat to combine, about a minute.
4. Reduce speed to low, add confectioners’ sugar slowly and beat until combined, about 1 minute. Add orange zest and orange liqueur; beat until evenly distributed, about 1 minute.
5. Lightly dust work surface with confectioners’ sugar. Turn dough out onto work surface; roll into 3/4-inch-thick logs (3 or 4), about 18 inches long. Cut each log crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces. Roll each piece into a ball.
6. Lightly beat remaining egg white. Coat each ball with egg white and roll in sugar, tapping to remove excess; transfer to prepared baking sheets. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
7. Pinch each piece of dough with three fingers to form an irregular pyramid shape. Bake until lightly golden, about 15 minutes. Transfer baking sheet to a wire rack and cool completely.

Yields about 6 dozen

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *

To participate in Weekend Blog Showcase, pick a recipe from a blog other than your own (Tastespotting and Foodgawker are great places for inspiration), make the recipe and post about it on your own blog, crediting the originating blog with the recipe.  Then sign into Mr. Linky.  That's all there is to it!  Ann and I look forward to your participation!

11 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

Oh my gosh are they soft? could they be a bit like the amarettis Jain sent me? They look soo good!

Lori (All That Splatters) said...

Monique, they're soft in the middle with just a tiny bit of a crust on the outside. They're really lovely!

Ken│hungryrabbit said...

I am glad you love these macaroons. I made them for Foodbuzz Festival and they were a hit.

Cathy said...

I'm very fond of all things almond too, Lori. What a lovely addition to holiday cookie trays. I'm so happy to read that you are feeling better. It's no fun being under the weather over a holiday.

Thibeault's Table said...

They look like little pillows of sweetness. I was going to ask what Monique asked. Soft in the centre and a crust on the outside. Sounds wonderful.

Ann

Kathy Walker said...

Macaroons are wonderful with the hint of orange...perfect!

Teresa said...

My mom used to make something like this only with lemon. These sound heavenly!

Linda said...

MMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......beautiful!

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Oh how I love macaroons...and with orange? Fabulous!

Sorry to miss the WBS...the recipe I used came from a blog that hasn't been updated in months, so I thought it might be better to pass. Hope to join you all next weekend :)

Anonymous said...

These look great. I too love almonds with orange and often replace vanilla with orange flower water (a Middle Eastern ingredient). I might try that here as well. I can't wait to make these!

Sweet And Crumby said...

Almonds, orange and coconut...OH MY! Can't wait to try this recipe!

Post a Comment

I appreciate your visit and welcome your comments!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin